Saturday, July 23, 2011

Roses are red...

Actually, they are pink, yellow, peach and violet!

A friend of mine's mom turned 90 years old this past week and their family is celebrating this weekend. Rightfully so! She wanted me to make the bright flowers I had done before, which I love, but they seemed to little girly for this occasion. I wanted to do something pretty and delicate... I thought of my grandma, who used to grow roses by her house, and poof! The rose brainchild was born. I had delusions of grandeur to make large buttercream (piped) roses atop a third of the c'cakes, smaller, handmade sugar roses on a third and do some simply frosted for the remaining. As I realized that the HUGE buttercream roses would be HUGE amounts of frosting, I settled for just the sugar roses and the simply frosted (with strawberry buttercream- Y-U-M). I'm so glad I altered my original plan, because look how beautiful these turned out!


I had never made sugar (royal icing) roses before and at first, I was pretty sure they'd be the death of me. I stuck it out and once I got the hang of it, they were actually pretty fun to make! So fun in fact, that I went a little overboard and I have a few (try 20) left over... Anyone want to order some super pretty rose cupcakes? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment